Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bow Waves

Does God leave a wake when He moves in your life? This intrigues me, really. I ask, mainly, because for us, He leaves a wake and begins with a bow-wave of sorts. You know, that “storm surge” that tells you something is afoot. That rushing sense that tells you that there is about to be a wave of some sort – the announcement of expectation, the indication of an aspect change. The light over the hill that leads to a non-consuming fire within shrubbery. Okay, it’s not always leading to nations taking 40-year journeys in the desert, but can you agree that there is often an indication of change?

It the process of my life and marriage, I have frequently seen this. Sometimes, it’s something you see afterwards – the warning signs of promise missed until the fruit promise is tasted. Sometimes, it’s seen well ahead – perhaps God’s way of saying “I’m still here, and all that has taken place in your life lately? It’s been for a reason.”

Either way, we must strive to anticipate not God’s moves or actions, but the fruit of His promises. I don’t always know the “what”, but I do always know the “if”. God has never lied and if He promises to do something, you must be prepared to be “done” regardless of His timing.

So, go look out past the rails of your lives. Look down the coaming, over the scuppers, out past the buoys – do you see bow waves? They are there. So be ready and keep your lamps lit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, David! I really needed that today. Thank you!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I was thinking how you are using tides and stuff without perhaps realizing you are here in Amarillo, no water! BUT....it is so true and am glad you can so eloquently put my thoughts on paper, or computer screen.
Tracy