Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Shot Poomba

OK, I survived the hog hunt. And .... we didn't bring anything home. We actually didn't shoot at a hog until we had left the area and were on the way back to the main road and had already unloaded!

So ... Trent sees a hog (it was a really dark night) on the side of the road while driving about 65mph. He slams on breaks as I am climbing into the back seat for the pistol. He wheels around until he is blocking both lanes with his headlights facing the field the hog is now running into screaming "Shoot it! Shoot it!" I load it, jack it, and squeeze a round off that Trent thinks hit the hog in the booty.

So after being popped in the posterior, the hog turns and runs some more so I shoot again but at this point, he's a god 30 or 40 yards off and we're triple parked across a dark desert highway with cool wind in my hair, with the smell of powder, rising up through the air ... shooting at a black mass and trying to figure out which one of us would have to walk into the CRP to drag the thing back to the truck. Did I mention I was standing on the running board this whole time?

The hog escaped, we did shoot at something, so all in all not a bad night. We saw a turkey, owls, pigs, cows, horses, a raccoon and a coyote. Didn't get chased by anything and never left the stand except once to make water. Oh well.

No comments: